WE ARE LUCKY TO BE BORN IN CANADA
We are LUCKY to have been born in Canada. I believe this for many reasons as commented on below. One privilege is that most of us have access to the World Wide Web and we can go searching for articles, ideas and information.
Today while surfing for something health-related I came across this article and it stunned me! The site Global Citizen has an article called “These Are the 13 Most Pressing Global Issues This Decade.” I was expecting a list that read something link cancer, heart disease, malnutrition etc. What I found was very different. My first thought was how lucky am I to have been born in Canada!
While many of the items on the list did not surprise me due to the pandemic, these five REALLY THREW ME OFF! I have included them here, along with what struck me most about them. I am a socialist in general and feel all people have a right to live equally. Also, these topics are linked to human decency and caring.
FIVE STARTLING POINTS
1. Making health care accessible to everyone … there is an 18 year difference in lifespan between people living in rich and poor nations. EIGHTEEN YEARS – wow. That is a lot of life to miss!
2. Making healthy food accessible … with all the billions and billions of dollars in the world, we still cannot afford to feed everyone. BONKERS … we can but we do not! Here I point out that Canada does a lot to help other nations and it is my belief we should do more! Also, I must add that the term “food insecurity” makes my blood boil! The term is STARVING. Starvation afflicts millions.
3. Promoting adolescent safety … I have to be honest. My first though was holy crap!!! I have adolescent grandsons and I had no idea the World Health Organization would list this as a global issue. According to this article nearly 1 MILLION teens die each year of violence, HIV/AIDS and suicide. Firstly, I did not know HIV/AIDS was still out of control anywhere and I thus admit to ignorance on this subject. Violence and suicide, well again that leads directly to the inhuman ways humans treat humans and in some situations parents treat their own children.
4. Preventing antibiotic resistance. AMR (antimicrobial resistance) is when certain bugs, bacterial and viral, no longer respond to treatment. This is caused by antibiotic over use . It made me realize I was far out of the loop on what is going with medicine in some and I had no knowledge of this problem in this proportion. AMR will pose a threat to modern medicine and needs to be addressed.
5. Ensuring health care facilities are clean and sterile. According to the WHO 1 in 4 health facilities around the world lack WATER and basic sterilization. This increases the risk of patients who end up at the hospital. I actually saw a report on COVID in Venezuela the other day that brought this point to the public. It was in regard to people staying home knowing they would surely die and despite being desperately ill because of the conditions in facilities there.
MY POINT …
First, wow am I ever naive when it comes to what is going on around the world! I really had no idea, did you?
Secondly, being born in Canada is a true blessing! When my family is sick we can see a doctor without worrying about how we are going to pay. There are efforts to feed families who are starving and in need. Our government is willing to support its’ citizens as it should during times like a pandemic. My teenage grandsons are well cared for and education is available from resources and the people who love them with regard to risks brought on by their choices and the cruelty of others. Our government participates in health research that is of benefit to many around the world. Lastly, our health care facilities are clean if not sterile in most cases.
I will close by saying that I am a globalist. I am of the opinion that no child ASKS to be born; therefore, regardless of where they are born, they need to be be protected and provided for by us all. Yes my country needs to take care of Canadians, but I for one would not want my government to ignore the needs of those outside our borders. This is my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours.
Click on the title of this post and it will become a link. SCROLL DOWN and find the COMMENT area. I would enjoy hearing from you.
Also, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
LIVEFATANDFIT AND BE WELL!