HOW TO STRETCH SAFELY AND CAREFULLY
I have thought long and hard about if I should include exercise instruction in this blog. I feel how to stretch safely and carefully is a good place to start, as I have been asked for such instruction by followers. There is no substitute for personal or group training, or working with a physiotherapist etc.
I do want you to be able to do everything necessary to improve your health and wellness at home. So, here I go! Please read my disclaimer to the right. It is hugely important. Also, read Stretching Is Essential to discover all the great things stretching can do for you.
1. Start your safe stretch warm.
2. Consider your limitations – practice safe stretching rules.
3. Whether you are standing, sitting or lying in bed, be sure you are aligning your body well and are in control of your musculature, practice good form.
4. Stretch your muscles in every direction they move in, from head to toe, neck to ankles, even splay your toes!
SAFELY AND CAREFULLY …
1. With your favourite motivational music playing, dance! Dance for 3 to 5 minutes before starting your stretch work out. If you are in a chair, chair dance. Remember, anytime you put your hands above your head and start moving your body you are creating increased blood flow, which will lead to warmth.
2. I AM NOT AWARE OF WHAT AILS YOU!! You really need to heed this warning. Discuss your limitations with your Primary Care Provider, get their opinion, input and suggestions.
Some basics … do not lock your joints. Do not hyperextend your neck or back. Stretch only to where your body says stop, hold for 10 seconds then see if you can stretch further. HEED YOUR BODY’S SUGGESTIONS!!!
3. Control of your musculature means you are using you mind to keep your muscles taut, engaged, balanced and strong. This will help you to have good form and decrease the chances of injury. You can in in fact engage each muscle group, with your mind only!!
4. You know the directions in which each muscle group moves. Generally, muscles move forward and backward and from side to side. Also, your limbs can move inward, towards your midline and should be stretched in this direction too.
So, there it is. Warm up, move slowly and carefully, stand/sit tall and strong, and stretch in every direction. STAY HYDRATED THROUGHOUT!
Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your thoughts, suggest conversation topics or ask specific stretching questions.
LIVEFATANDFIT AND BE WELL!